In this review call, I give feedback to Kev Quirk’s personal blog. Fira Sans and Georgia don’t go so well together, the header could be more compact, the styling of info and warning boxes is too striking, and the footer also gets redesigned.
- Check the font stack: the fallback system fonts should be the same category at least.
- Type choice: Fira Sans Condensed is a good type choice, because it’s highly legible, very widespread, though.
- Type combination: Georgia & Fira Sans don’t go well together, Meta Serif fits better.
- Header: save vertical space by moving the blog category and the date in one line.
- Pull quote: reduce the line height of large text to make it more compact.
- Footer: remove underlines in the footer links to make it calmer.
Kev did the work! For a detailed description of all the changes, check out his blog post about the typographic improvements. I’m super thrilled, that he implemented plenty of the suggestions right after our call, which resulted in this:
Let me know in the comments, what you think of the suggestions! Also consider submitting your app or website for a free typographic review.